In the first movie, although not named at the time, Tiago and his sisters are seen at the end of the film, flying, singing, and dancing with their parents. The three chicks also sing a line in the song "Real in Rio."
In the sequel, Tiago is first seen helping his sisters Bia and Carla prepare fireworks at New Year's Eve. He is very excited, tying their babysitter Tiny to a firework and darting around with a match. Before Tiago can light the fireworks, he is stopped by Blu and Jewel, who take away the match. When Blu protests that he doesn't always say no, Tiago says that he is in denial. As the fireworks go off with Blu attached to one, Tiago flies up to the Christ the Redeemer with his sisters and mother. As Blu falls onto the statue beside them, Tiago grumbles that he has had all the fun, but then he watches the fireworks in awe.
At breakfast, Tiago steals the blueberries, kicking them at Blu. Blu accidentally sends a pancake flying, and Tiago tries to catch it, only to be squashed against the wall. He greets his mother as she stares at them all, clearly annoyed. Jewel tells Blu that she wants to show the kids how to open the brazil nut she found in the rainforest, but Tiago further annoys her when he opens a can of brazil nuts. After the news announces the sighting of a wild Spix's macaw, Jewel suggests a trip to the Amazon. When Blu hesitantly agrees, Tiago is ecstatic, but then he asks what the Amazon is.
Tiago hurries Blu as they prepare to leave for the Amazon, eager to go. He takes Blu's swiss army knife, who quickly takes it away. When Bia shows a pop-up snake from her book, Tiago takes it, interested, but Bia takes it back, annoyed. Tiago brings some goggles to the Amazon, and wears them every time he flies. Tiago enjoys the journey, riding on a Rhea, and sometimes annoying his family.
On the boat, Tiago and the others sleep. Nigel is about to kill Blu, but the boat horn then goes off when Charlie hits the switch by accident, waking everyone and foiling Nigel's plan. Nigel makes a hasty getaway, not getting caught as Jewel scolds Tiago, thinking it was him.
When they arrive in the Amazon, Tiago steals Bia's book once again, leading her to chase him. Jewel goes after them before they get lost. When the Spix's macaws are found, Tiago looks on with awe and wonder. As Eduardo is revealed to be his grandfather, Tiago is enthusiastic and curious. He hugs Eduardo along with his sisters, calling him 'pop-pop'.
When Mimi tries to hug them, Tiago, Bia and Carla flee, terrified. Tiago dances with his newly found family during 'Beautiful Creatures', painting his face with red. Later in Roberto's nest, Tiago tries to bag the biggest room, but is denied it when his sisters attempt to claim it. He is then distracted by the jacuzzi, jumping into it. Jewel then sings him and his sisters to sleep, but when she finishes, Tiago begs her to sing it again. Jewel gently declines, and Tiago immediately falls asleep.
The next day, Tiago and some other chicks scare Blu awake with a spider. As the day progresses, Roberto takes him water-skiing and teaches him how to fly backwards. Tiago calls him 'Uncle Beto', and Roberto nicknames him 'T-bird'. At the soccer match, Tiago cheers on Roberto and Blu enthusiastically, jumping up and down and shouting. When Blu scores for the wrong team by accident, Tiago looks saddened and disappointed, flying away with the tribe.
During the battle with the loggers, Tiago and Bia drive a tree harvester away from the trees. Tiago then uses Blu's swiss army knife to help break the engine of a tree harvester, and Tiago high-fives Blu. When Nigel later tries to attack Blu, Blu pulls Tiago and Bia close to defend them, but Gabi drags Nigel away.
Afterwards, Tiago joins in the carnival deliberations, happy in his new home.
In 'MCF: Wander's World Tour", he is among the birds that Wander meets when he heads to Rio de Janero during his world tour. He was accidentally a test subject of a spell Wander had used from 'borrowing' Raina's book. He then helps Wander help Linda recieve an artifact at the bottom at the sea.
He is yet to return in a future story.
- Tiago has ten dark blue feathers on his head, just like his mother.
- Tiago is the only chick that is flexible enough to do the worm and spin on his head.
- Tiago is the smallest of his brood, and his wings are the second smallest (after Bia).
- Tiago prefers to hang out with his mother.
- In the 2013 promo poster, he is seen on the right of Bia.
- In one of the posters for Rio 2, he is seen wearing a baseball cap and using a leaf as a paddle.
- Tiago is seen wearing goggles in both the first trailer and a promotional still.
- Tiago does have goggles in the movie, and takes them with him to the Amazon, keeping them on at all times during the journey from Rio to the Amazon.
- Tiago was originally going to be called "Bobby", but his name was changed to Tiago.
- Tiago seems to like to play pranks, tying a spider onto a string and scare his father awake, along with a few other chicks, tying Tiny to a firework, and slipping himself into a soda machine.
- He enjoys being around Roberto, waterskiing with him, and learning flying tricks from him.
- Tiago enjoys watching TV in Linda and Tulio's cottage, along with both of his siblings.
- Tiago, and both his siblings, run away from their great-aunt Mimi when she tries to hug them.
- Tiago was born 6 minutes and 25 seconds after Carla and 3 minutes after Bia.
- It is hinted that he will return in a future MCF story, but that depends.
- MCF: Wander's World Tour(Debut)
- MCF: Families Reunited at Last(Return; episode: Strawberry's Berry Big World)