The Colt is an object that appears in the show Supernatural. It is introduced by John Winchester as a a hunter's legend; a singular gun made by Samuel Colt in 1835 for a hunter at the time. It has supernatural powers: when used with the supernatural bullets made specially for it, the gun can kill anything. It is said to be able to kill nearly any Supernatural being. Lucifer says he is one of only five things that can't be killed by it.
It also acts as a key for the Devil's Gate in Wyoming, which opens a door to Hell.
Currently its whereabouts are unknown. It was last seen in Carthage, Missouri, in the possession of Lucifer. The gun itself first appears in MCF: The End as a gun rumored to supposedly kill At. Tracy it will be a major focus
The ColtEditBack in 1835, when Halley's Comet was overhead, same night those men died at the Alamo, they say Samuel Colt made a gun. A special gun. He made it for a hunter. A man like us, only on horseback. Story goes, he made thirteen bullets. This hunter used the gun a half dozen times before he disappeared, the gun along with him... Somehow Daniel got his hands on it. They say... they say this gun can kill anything.'-John Winchester, 1.20 Dead Man's Blood
John introduces the Colt as a hunter's legend; a singular gun made by Samuel Colt in 1835 for a hunter at the time. It has supernatural powers: when used with the supernatural bullets made specially for it, the gun can kill anything. It is said to be able to kill nearly any Supernatural being. Lucifer says he is one of only five things that can't be killed by it.
It also acts as a key for the Devil's Gate in Wyoming, which opens a door to Hell.
Currently its whereabouts are unknown. It was last seen in Carthage, Missouri, in the possession of Lucifer.
The Texas Paterson 1836Edit
The first type of production handgun made by the real Samuel Colt is a Texas Paterson 1836. Supernatural Prop Master Chris Cooper found a replica of the gun at a Las Vegas gun show. The original revolver was a powder and cap gun, but the Supernatural prop department made a new revolver piece that could take cartridges.
Although not obvious to anyone not familiar with the Paterson model, "The Colt" does in fact, have a trigger. While the Colt Paterson Revolvers in general, as well as "The Colt" do not have trigger guards, the trigger for these revolvers are inset flush into base of the frame, and drop down automatically when the hammer is cocked. The trigger can be clearly seen behind Bobby's finger when he is test-firing it in the scene where Ruby first appears to help him restore it to its Demon killing abilities.
The Colt GunEdit
Invented by Samuel Colt, a gun named after its inventor “Colt”, and after its revolving cylinder. Before the Colt revolver, only one and two-barrel flintlock pistols had been invented for hand held use. Colt revolvers were all based on cap-and-ball technology until the Smith and Wesson license on the bored-through cylinder (bought from Rollin White) expired around 1869. – Pad of Definitions (1.20 Dead Man's Blood), Official Website
The Colt used in Supernatural has some special "features": Latin Inscription: Non timebo mala translates to "I will fear no evil" from Latin, and is a reference to Psalm 23 and the quote "For though I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me. It has inspired many Fan Tattoos. The font used is Plakat Fraktur.
See Pentagram Numbers:
The 13 bullets made by Samuel Colt are engraved with numbers.
Uses in the showEdit
How Samuel Colt's original bullets are used
- 6.18 Frontierland - Samuel Colt, in 1861, shoots and kills two demons.
- 6.18 Frontierland - Samuel Colt gives Sam the Colt to give to Dean, who shoots and kills the Phoenix.
- 1.20 Dead Man's Blood - The Colt is introduced with 5 (out of 13) remaining bullets.
- 1.20 Dead Man's Blood - John shoots Luther the vampire to save Sam's life.
- 1.21 Salvation - Sam shoots at Azazel in Rose's nursery.
- 1.22 Devil's Trap - Dean shoots the man possessed by a demon (Tom) to save Sam's life.
- 1.22 Devil's Trap - Sam shoots John in the thigh while he is possessed by the Demon (Azazel).
- 2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two - Dean kills Azazel with a shot in the heart.
- 2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two: The Colt is used by Jake as a key to open the Devil's Gate in Wyoming.
- 3.04 Sin City: Ruby helps Bobby rebuild the Colt so it will kill demons. Sam then uses it to kill Father Gil and Casey. This also marks the first time the Colt bullets now give off an orange-red hue when they kill a demon much like the bullet's effects with Azazel, but now it's for every demon Sam and Dean use the Colt on.
- 3.05 Bedtime Stories: Sam uses the Colt to kill the Crossroads Demon.
- 3.07 Fresh Blood: Dean shoots a vampire with it. This is the first time after Ruby helps Bobby make more bullets for the Colt, as well as the last time (so far), that we've seen the blue-colored hue being used after Dean kills the vampire. It can be suggested that the blue hue is only used against monsters now.
- 3.09 Malleus Maleficarum: First Dean threatens to shoot Ruby with it, but Sam stops him. Later Sam tries to shoot Tammi with the Colt, but she stops the bullet in mid-air. This could either suggest the bullets aren't that powerful when a demon is expecting the bullet, or perhaps a demonic witch may be able to stop a demon-killing bullet from the Colt. And if that was the case, you could also wonder if Ruby would've been able to stop the Colt's bullet as well if Sam didn't stop Dean from shooting her.
- 3.10 Dream a Little Dream of Me: Bela steals the Colt.
- 3.15 Time Is on My Side: Bela gave the Colt to demons to try and get her way out of her Crossroads deal, but it doesn't go as planned for her.
- 5.09 The Real Ghostbusters: Becky tells Sam that in Chuck's book of Time Is on My Side, Bela gave the Colt to a Crossroads Demon named Crowley instead of Lilith.
- 5.10 Abandon All Hope...: The boys are given the Colt by the demon Crowley. During the hunt that follows, Dean shoots and presumably kills a Hellhound with the Colt. The boys then track down Lucifer and Dean shoots him straight through the head but Lucifer is unharmed and he also mentions he is one of five that the Colt cannot kill.
Lucifer says that there are only five things in all of creation that can't be killed by the Colt and that he is one of them.
It should also be noted that while the Colt can kill (almost) anything the shot must still be a kill shot. When Sam shoots John, while he is possessed by Azazel, in the leg, the demon survives.
1.20 Dead Man's Blood
When Daniel Elkins is killed, he leaves a note for John Winchester a note saying that he had it (along with the five remaining bullets) in his possession. John is interested in it as since the Colt can supposedly kill anything, it could possibly be used to kill Azazel and avenge Mary's death. After retrieving the Colt from the vampires who killed Elkins and looted his property,John uses it to kill the vampire Luther, proving that the gun is the one he's been searching for, as an ordinary revolver would not have killed a vampire.
Sam shoots at Azazel as he stands over the crib of the baby Rose Holt, while John is off trading a fake Colt with Meg. He misses as Azazel disappears and wastes a bullet.
1.22 Devil's TrapEdit
Dean uses the third remaining bullet to kill the demon Tom as he and Sam rescue John. Their father, possessed by Azazel, begs Sam to shoot him, but he cannot kill his father and uses the fourth bullet to shoot John in the leg, and hesitates to kill Azazel and John with him, allowing Azazel to flee.
2.01 In My Time of DyingEdit
Sam uses the Colt to frighten off the demon-possessed trucker. Later, John trades the Colt and the remaining bullet (and his soul) in a deal with Azazel for Dean's life.
2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part TwoEdit
Azazel gives the Colt to Jake Talley in order to open the Devil's Gate in Wyoming. Jake succeeds in opening the Gate by threatening Ellen's life, but after Sam kills him, Dean retrieves the Colt from the crypt door. Azazel shows up and takes the Colt from Dean, but after John's spirit distracts Azazel by pulling him from his body, Dean grabs the Colt back and shoots Azazel in the heart with the last bullet just as he returns to his host, finally killing him.
3.03 Bad Day at Black RockEdit
Bobby is seen working on the Colt.
3.04 Sin CityEdit
Bobby trying to figure out how the Colt works when Ruby arrives and offers to help return its demon killing powers. Bobby later shoots at the possessed Father Gil with it – and misses. Sam uses it to kill Father Gil and Casey.
3.05 Bedtime StoriesEdit
Sam uses the Colt to kill the Crossroads Demon.
3.07 Fresh BloodEdit
Dean uses the Colt to kill a girl that the hunter Gordon turned into a vampire.
3.09 Malleus MaleficarumEdit
Dean tries to shoot Ruby with the Colt but is stopped by Sam. Sam later tries to shoot the demon Tammi with it, but she is able to stop the bullet in mid-air.
3.10 Dream a Little Dream of MeEdit
Bela steals the Colt from Sam and Dean's motel safe after she brings them African Dream Root to help save Bobby.
3.12 Jus in BelloEdit
When Bela calls the Winchesters to taunt them about stealing the Colt, it is seen on the seat next to her sitting on a towel. Later, Ruby is annoyed to learn that the Colt is gone when they have to face off against an army of around 30 demons.
3.15 Time Is on My SideEdit
Bela Talbot tells Dean she gave the gun to Lilith in a hope of breaking her deal.
4.03 In the BeginningEdit
When Dean goes back to 1973 he "borrows" the Colt from Daniel Elkins, telling Elkins the gun will be in Lawrence, Kansas. He has two opportunities to shoot Azazel, but the demon flees before he gets the chance to kill him.
5.01 Sympathy for the DevilEdit
Dean tells Bobby he thinks they should use the Colt to kill Lucifer, but later explains to Sam he was just mentioning it to give hope to Bobby.
5.04 The EndEdit
Castiel tells Dean that he has learned the demons have not destroyed the gun. In 2014, future!Dean finally retrieves the Colt from the demons and tries to kill Lucifer with it, but fails and is killed by Lucifer.
5.09 The Real GhostbustersEdit
Becky tells Sam that in the Supernatural book written by Chuck which tells the events of 3.15 Time Is on My Side, Bela gave the Colt not to Lilith but to her right hand demon, and possibly lover, Crowley.
5.10 Abandon All Hope...Edit
Crowley gives the Colt to the Winchesters to kill Lucifer. Dean uses it against the hellhounds, and either wounds, or kills one, but is unable to stop them all. Dean shoots Lucifer in the head at point-blank range. Lucifer falls and appears to be dead at first, but he gets up in pain, the bullet wound in his forehead heals, and he punches Dean into a tree, this causes Dean to drop the colt and when Castiel rescues him he is unable to retrieve it. Lucifer explains to Sam that he is one of five things in all of creation that the gun can't kill.
Sam and Dean find Samuel Colt's Journal and learn that in 1861 the Colt was used to kill a Phoenix. They need the Phoenix's ashes to fight Eve, so they travel back to 1861. Samuel Colt is retired from hunting, and completing the railway devil's trap. Two demons enter his home, and he shoots them with the Colt. When Sam arrives and asks for his assistance, he refuses but eventually gives Sam the Colt. Dean uses the Colt to kill Elias Finch - the phoenix.
Dean drops the Colt just before he and Sam are transported back to the present day. It is possible that the Colt was retrieved by the saloon owner Elkins. In the present day, the Colt was originally in the possession of Daniel Elkins and its possible that the Elkins of 1861 was an ancestor who passed it down to him.
Legend of the ColtEdit
Samuel Colt (1814-1862) was the inventor of the Colt revolver, and founder of the Colt Firearms company. His huge achievement was for inventing a functional design for a gun that could shoot multiple times before having to be reloaded. He was highly influential in the munitions industry and was a noted inventor. See also:
It should be noted that Samuel Colt spent 1835 in England and France, securing the first patent on his revolving-breech pistol. He returned home and obtained an American patent in 1836.
The Battle of the Alamo was a 19th-century battle between the Republic of Mexico and the rebel Texian forces during the latter's fight for independence - the Texas Revolution. It took place at the Alamo mission in San Antonio, Texas (then known as "San Antonio de Béxar") in February and March of 1836.
History of Conflicts
Although most people automatically think of the famous battle that occurred in 1836 when the Alamo is mentioned there is a history of minor battles that occurred at the Alamo. The Alamo has a long and bloody history beginning in the mid to late 1700's.
In October of 1835 one of many battles occurred between residents of Gonzales and the Mexican troops that occupied the Alamo at the time. This skirmish led to Santa Anna sending in troops under Martin Perfecto de Cós to San Antonio. This was only one of many smaller battles over the course of October, November, and December of 1835 that eventually led to the famous battle that occurred in February and March of 1836.
For more information about the history/timeline of the Alamo check out the Daughters of the Republic of Texas website. They include a detailed history of the Alamo and all its battles.
The battle in 1835 is usually referred to as the Siege of Béxar, was the first battle for the occupation of the Alamo, in which the Texians took possession from the Mexican Governmental troops. It took place between October 12 and December 11th, 1835. On December 7th, the Texians had all of their artillery in place and began their assault on the Alamo. The flag of surrender was sent out from the Alamo to the Texian army on December 9th. So a good guess as to the exact 'night those men died' would be December 8th, 1835. (sources Siege of Béxar (Bejar) - Wikipedia Siege of Béxar (Bejar) - Wikipedia and Siege & Battle of Béxar from the Dairy of Samuel Maverick)
Comet Halley ... more generally known as Halley's Comet after Edmond Halley, is a comet that can be seen every 75-76 years. It is the most famous of all periodic comets, even though in every century many comets appear brighter and more spectacular. Halley's comet last appeared in the inner Solar System in 1986, and will next appear in the summer of 2061." (Source: Wikipedia)
In 1835, it achieved perihelion on 16 November, but would have been visible from Earth for several weeks before and after.
The Number 13Edit
In Western culture, the number 13 is generally considered to be unlucky. However, this has not always been the case. See this article on 'triskaidekaphobia' (fear of the number 13) for a various uses and readings of the number 13 in a range of different cultures, religions and mythologies.
Arizona claims ColtEdit
- Arizona has adopted the Colt as its state firearm (April, 2011)
- MCF: The End (Debut)
- It is rumored that Alt Tracy could possibly be killed by this. But it did not appear that way when Fututre Tricia tried to use it on her in MCF: The End it resulted in killing the remaining MCF and herself.
- It is the first gun to be talked about in any MCF story.
- Since the gun cannot kill Lucifer only damage him it may be possible it could be the same with Alt. Tracy but it is currently unknown. If this is true then Alt. Tracy would be one of the four creatures that the Colt cannot kill.
- To learn more about the Colt go here http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=The_Colt