TJ Detweiller is the main protagonist of the cartoon show, Recess. He is the leader of the group that consists of himself, Spinelli, Gretchen, Vince, Gus and Mikey where thy have many adventures among the playground after school. He is a boy with a white shirt, a red baseball cap, freckles, a green jacket, blue pants and white/red shoes. He is outgoing, kindhearted, and friendly, and takes having fun very seriously. He is also very dumb, one time he got a 10% on a test. While he is somewhat ditzy, ignorant, and lazy, he's a genius when it comes to pulling schemes on the playground. He had the most voice actors out of the main six characters in the show: Ross Malinger(Season One; few episodes of Season Two, ending with Outcast Ashley), Andrew Lawrence(who played him until the end of the series), Myles Jeffrey and Axel Alba. In the MCF series he is 'voiced', by Andrew Lawrence.
T.J. is the leader of the main six kids in the show, and has been best friends with them since kindergarten (except Gus, who moved to town in the first episode, however he has also been shown in kindergarten with the rest of the kids).
Despite being more heavy-set than the other five members of the gang (save for Mikey), he is capable of pulling a few stunts, such as escaping detention by climbing either out the window or from the roof of the school a few times. In second grade, he invented the word "whomp", which is what the kids of the playground use instead of "stinks" or "sucks" to describe an unpleasant situation or person. Aside from "whomp", he also uses the word "frooping" a number of times (to replace the "f word"), though it's unknown whether he created the word or not. T.J. often roots for the underdog and cares about every kid on the playground, including his enemies. Thus causing most of the school to like him, with the exception of Gordy, as seen in the episode, "Nobody Doesn't Like TJ". He is hardly ever seen without his red baseball hat.
His best friend, Ashley Spinelli, has a crush on him, as revealed in the episode "Parents Night". In the episode "The Experiment", they kiss each other to experiment on the effects kissing has on the opposite genders, with them seeming to not enjoy it. However, when they are left by themselves afterwards, they both seem to act a little shy about it, hinting that T.J. has a crush on her as well. He is often seen wrapping his arm around her shoulders for no apparent reason, which also hints this. T.J is also kind of stupid as he went from being a C+ student to an F he even once got a 10.1% on a test.
He was very shy as a kindergarten student, and was not the brave leader that has been seen in the fourth grade. Gus was the first one to really become his friend, and he was also the one who gave him his nickname. After Gus proves to the other students that Mikey wasn't a bully, the other kindergarteners start to become more outgoing, and show their first displays of their usual personalities, When Randall tattles on Gus and is put in the principal's office, T.J. assumes his position as the leader when they have to save Gus, and puts his trademark baseball cap on backwards as he wears it in the series proper.
MCF Stories Edit
TJ appears in "MCF: Families Reunited at Last" during the Season 3 arc where Raina finds her parents in the episode "Monster Mash Rescue."Here, he and the other Recess gang with the MCF and the Hotel Transylvania gang to to rescue fellow Recess gang Gretchen from Prince Charming(Shrek) who is trying to find an emerald. After they
Appearences Edit Edit
- MCF: Families Reunited at Last(Debut; episode "Monster Mash Rescue")
- In the original drafts of the show, his name was going to be P.J., to stand for the first initials of the show's creators (Paul and Joe). After the first recording for The Break In, his name was changed for unknown reasons.
- According to Paul Germain and Joe Ansolabehere, T.J.'s described to be "a funny looking little guy with a lot of charisma".
- According to "To Finster with Love"; T.J. weighs 76 pounds.
- According to "Big Ol Mikey"; in his adult years, he will grow up to be 5 feet 9 inches tall.
- T.J. has had the most episodes focused on him out of the entire cast.
- T.J. has been in every episode of the series.
- T.J and his friends were originally gonna make cameos in Lloyd in Space.
- During the first season of the show, T.J. had highlights in his eyes. For unknown reasons, they were removed in season two, but sometimes appeared in either off-model moments or tie-in merchandise.
- T.J. is the only member of the Recess Gang with brown hair.
- T.J. is one of three members of the gang with siblings (Along with Spinelli and Vince), however, he is also the only member of the gang with a sister.
- The first line spoken by T.J. in the show was "Tomato Surprise; just when you thought it was safe to go back in the lunchroom". This is also the first line spoken by any character in the show.
- T.J. was the first animated character that Ross Malinger and Andrew Lawrence have played.
- He used to be very shy but is now a daring and adventurous character.
- He is shown to be very good friends with the MCF in teh series, but goes to the