When she was young, Merida recieved her first bow and arrow and witnessed her father, Fergus's attack from Mor'du the bear. When she gets older, her mother Elinor, homeschools her to be a proper lady. This frustrates Merida a lot because she wants to live her own life and do things a princess wouldn't do such as climb a mountain and shoot her bow and arrow. What really frustrated her the most is that she has to marry three of the suitors from neighboring kingdoms in order to prevent a war. When her suitors arrive, she challenges them to an archery contest, but enters herself in. She wins, but has a falling out with Elinor. As she runs, she follows a willow-the-whisps to a Witch's cottage where she buys all her wood carvings for a spell that would change her fate and change her mother's mind about the marriage. She sneaks in and gives her mother the spell in the form of a cake, but instead of making her mother change her mind, she transforms into a bear. Horrified, Merida and Elinor run into the woods. During thsi time, Merida bonds with her mother. However, she goes back to the castle to mend the bond torn by pride after an attack from Mor'du that Elinor saves her from because she cut the tapestry in anger on the day of the fight. When Merida comes to the castle, Fergus, and the three Lords and their sons and subjects start a huge fight. Merida clears it up by telling them that people are free to do whatever and can't be forced into such things as marriage in a rush. The Three Lords' sons agree on the situation. Fergus eventually catches Elinor and chases her thinking the bear killed his wife. Merida tries to stop him, but she is locked up. She calls on her three brothers Hamish, Hubert and Harris(who also turned into bears by the cake), to break her free. She stops her father from killing her transformed mother and kills Mor'du, releasing his spirit. Merida watches as her mother and brothers are transformed back into humans. Having the three Lords and their sons return home to decide on their own fates, Merida and Elinor ride off into the woods to bond closer.
Merida is a common ally to the MCF. She first appears in "MCF: Mystery of the Voice" she was set to play Cosette opposite her new boyfriend Matt Flynn Fletcher as Marius when she was captured by Red Guy. The MCF rescued her along with the others and she did her role.
In the Families Reunited at Last episode, "Curse of the Were-Shark" where she is bitten by a shark Finnivus and turned into a were-shark along with May, Max, and Doc McStuffins. The MCF along with Barkley, Mavis, Ash, Peaches and Shira manage to find them and then them back to normal.
In "MCF and the Princess Mystery", she helps the MCF, Belle, Tricia, Rapunzel, Tiana, Cinderella and Anna to rescue the other princesses who are captured by the Ice King.
She makes an appearance in "MCF: Wander's World Tour" as one of the people Wander meets during his world tour.
- MCF: Mystery of the Voice(Debut)
- MCF: Families Reunited at Last(return; episode: Curse of the Shark)
- MCF and the Princess Mystery
- MCF: Wander's World Tour
- A MCF Christmas
- MCF: The Bear and the Bow
- Despite not having a love interest in the film, she took interest in a hunk who she thought was Lord Dingwall's son until she found out he isn't. In the fics, she started to date Matt Flynn-Fletcher.
- Merida is the second Disney Princess to be in a love triangle briefly. The second was Pocahontas.
- Merida is one of the princesses to wield a bow and arrow.
- Merida is similar to Belle, Pocahontas and Jasmine, hence they don't want to be forced into marriage.
- Merida is also simular to Kenai as they hate bears with a passion, though get to know them better after an encounter with a bear.
- She's similar to Ariel where she has parent issues, in this case her mother.
- It is possible Merida and Tracy might share a special bond in the story.
- Merida is one of the Guardians of the Gems who has yet to be awaken and doesn't have her gem with her. However, she may be awaken as a guardian in Bella's upcoming story 'MCF Inter Dimension Journey' or will learn a bit about the guardians herself.