Elsa the Snow Queen is the deuteragonist/false antagonist in the upcoming 2013 Disney animated film Frozen. She first makes her MCF Appearence in MCF and the Princess Mystery as one of the Princesses who get kidnapped by the Ice King but later does. She is set to reappear in MCF and the Ice Queen. She is voiced by Idina Menzel.
As a queen, Elsa acts calm, reserved and regal, well-experienced in grace and poise. When she was younger, she cared strongly for Anna and, although acted as the more mature of the two, was quite playful. However, ever since her magic nearly caused her sister's death, Elsa had lived in fear for a great amount of her life, too nervous to let her powers overdevelop. As a result, Elsa desired isolation from everyone she cared about, including Anna, out of fear that she could hurt them, and chose to keep things to herself rather than communicate. However, whenever fearful or pressured, her emotions cause her magic to be released in the forms of deadly ice and storms.
From said pressure, Elsa is sensitive towards other people and their well-being, as Elsa always felt she had to be far away from people as much as possible in order to keep them safe. As such, she felt that she could not truly rule a kingdom because of this flaw. This would also be a direct cause to her interaction with Anna being cut, as she could not control her powerful emotions when Anna was around to spur them. Because Anna had to lose the memories of Elsa's magic in order to survive Elsa's curse, Elsa also had a harder time socializing with Anna especially with her isolation. She also implies that she thinks she does not belong in Arendelle, as she sees herself only as a force of destruction.
Despite her fear, Elsa shows to truly care about her family and her kingdom as more than just a position, as she was evidently frightened when she realizes that she had created a winter over her kingdom when she had tried so desperately to avoid them from her danger. But due to the influence of her magic, Elsa does not like to confront things she had caused, for she has always believed she can only create winter, not remove it.
Although she had avoided Anna for most of her life, Elsa was willing to share some words with her, even sneakily tricking the Duke of Weselton into dancing with Anna.
However, Elsa's strongest part of herself is her love for her sister, a trait that gives Elsa the ultimate motivation to save Anna. Although she feels responsible for the chaos she has caused, the bond Elsa shares with Anna allows her to have a stronger control over her abilities in order to save those she cares about. From this, Elsa confronts her fear, and learns how to use her powers for good instead of imbalance, and in doing so, gains the will to control it.
As she conquers her fear, Elsa's personality becomes warm and playful once again, as she happily attends ice skating with Anna and her friends, even creating a snow cloud to help Olaf remain in warm weather.
Elsa is a strikingly beautiful young woman with a tall slender figure, platinum blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin with a light dusting of freckles (a trait she shares with her sister, Anna). In her pre-Snow Queen state, she wore a teal dress with a heart-shaped bodice with gold lacing, black sleeves and magenta cape, and her hair was kept back in an elaborate bun. She also wore gloves all the time to contain her powers.
In her Snow Queen state, Elsa wears her hair in a side braid woven with ice incrustations. She wears a crystal-blue, off-the-shoulder dress made out of ice with slightly transparent sleeves. And underneath the sleeves of her dress is a transparent cape of sheer material draped down and covered with big snowflakes.
At a young age, Elsa realizes that she holds an ancient power over ice and snow, and often used her abilities to play with her sister, Anna. Elsa shared a close bond with her free-spirited younger sibling, however one night while the two were playing in the ballroom, Elsa accidentally shoots her sister with her magic when Anna slipped from the snow. The King and Queen immediately seek aid for Anna by visiting the trolls, whose leader is able to stabilize Anna's condition by removing the memories of Elsa's magic from Anna. However, he delivers a warning to Elsa of the beauty and danger her powers pose if she lets fear consume her. While the King promises to help Elsa control them, the incident leaves Elsa traumatized of her powers. As a result, the King and Queen order the gates to be locked for Elsa's and Anna's safety. From then on, Elsa spent the rest of her life distanced from the kingdom, including Anna, trying to keep her powers from growing out of control.
When Elsa and Anna reach their teens, the King and Queen suddenly die during a storm out at sea when they left the kingdom for a trip. Three years later, Elsa is chosen to be crowned the new queen (regnant, not consort) at a coronation. Elsa, though reluctant at removing her gloves to to take the royal orb and scepter, is able to keep it together and is crowned. Later however, during the ball, the Duke of Weselton tries to dance with Elsa, but she gets Anna to briefly join him. While he makes a fool of himself with his silly dancing, Elsa gets to exchange some words with Anna for the first time in years, but as Anna goes to tell Elsa how they'll get to spend more time together again, Elsa states it will not happen. As Elsa spends her time during the party, Anna arrives with Prince Hans to ask for her blessing in their upcoming marriage. Elsa is startled, and refuses to over the fact that the two had just met and Anna's misunderstood idea of true love. While Anna retaliates by asking why Elsa keeps shutting her out, Elsa starts to walk away, so Anna grabs at her, pulling off her glove. As Anna still pleads with her to tell her why she is behaving this way, Elsa accidentally exposes her abilities to the citizens by creating a wave of icepicks. Elsa runs out of the castle before all the other excited subjects. Elsa's powers further reveal themselves, surprising and frightening everybody, with the Duke claiming her to be a monster inflicted with sorcery. She runs all the way to the river with Anna chasing after her. As everything begins to freeze, Elsa runs over the river, and with every step she takes, she causes the entire thing to turn to ice, trapping all the fjords in there before spreading throughout the rest of the kingdom. Elsa then retreats to the north mountain, accidentally placing a frozen curse on her kingdom as she leaves. Although she is still frightened by what she's done, she starts to embrace her powers now that she is alone, letting her powers roam free. She creates herself an ice palace and a gown out of her magic. She also recreates Olaf, the snowman she built with Anna as a child, but unknowlingly sparks him with life.
Elsa lives peacefully in solitude, until one day when Anna enters her castle. While Elsa becomes slightly enlightened that Anna had come to visit her, she is horrified to learn that she had caused a curse upon the kingdom. Overcome by fear and guilt, Elsa unleashes her powers once again by accident, but this time she inadvertently hits Anna at her heart. As Olaf and Kristoff run to try and aid Anna, Elsa demands for them to leave her, as Anna belongs in Arendelle; she, however, does not. While Anna still insists she come back with them, Elsa is forced to create a gruesome snow beast known as Marshmallow, who throws the trio out of the castle.
After Anna's departure, Hans and a group of soldiers arrive to arrest Elsa after believing she had killed Anna. As Marshmallow defends against the attack, two soldiers sneak past him and try to kill Elsa per the Duke's orders. Elsa is fearful at first, but eventually uses her abilities and comes close to nearly killing the two. However, just as one is about to shoot her, Hans intervenes, causing the fired arrow to cut through the chandelier which then plummets towards to ground. Elsa tries to escape the collision, but is knocked out in the process.
As she is taken back to Arendelle, Elsa is tried for treason, and is ordered to be executed. Fortunately, her icy touch causes the prison to become fragile, allowing her to escape in the kingdom's devastating snowstorm. Hans finds her in the storm and blames her, telling her that she had caused Anna to die. Elsa is stricken with despair and collapses, giving Hans the chance to eliminate her. However, Anna jumps in front of Elsa as her curse takes full effect, turning into an ice statue which shatters Hans' sword and causes the latter to fall back. Elsa recovers and sees her sister's fate, causing her to weep and clutch on to the statue while blaming herself for bringing this upon Anna. However, Anna's saving of Elsa thaws her frozen heart, and Anna recovers. Realizing that love enables her to control her powers, Elsa is able to use this and focuses herself, removing the icy curse from Arendelle, and returns it to summer. Elsa then rekindles her bond with Anna and the two come together again. Elsa then resumes her position as queen and uses her abilities to give Olaf an ice cloud to prevent him from melting and creates a rink in the town square for the people to enjoy. She makes a pair of ice skates for Anna as well, and the two sisters join with their friends to have fun just as they used to.
- MCF and the Princess Mystery (Debut)
- MCF and the Ice Queen (Return)
- A MCF Christmas
- MCF: Meets the Mouse (Upcoming)
- MCF: The Princess Test
- By the time of the coronation, Elsa is said to be 21 years old, according to the novelization of the film.
- When Elsa joins the Disney Princess line-up, she'll not only replace Cinderella as the oldest Disney Princess, but she'll be the only Disney Princess to not be a teenager.
- Contrary to how most adaptations portray her, this version of the Snow Queen is not be a villain, since the Snow Queen in the original fairy tale was not intended to be evil. Because of this, the real villain of the film will likely be someone else (The two antagonists are Hans and the Duke of Weselton). Also, the fairy tale the film is based on involved an evil troll (implied to represent Satan) building a mirror which he will use to turn everyone evil, only to accidentally smash it in the process, and one of the shards ending up hitting Kai.
- Elsa may have been based on Kai, from the original "Snow Queen" fairy tale, who after ends up being kidnapped by the title Queen after he is unexpectedly stabbed by one of the broken shards of a magic mirror created by an evil troll which he was supposed to use to corrupt people, therefore prompting Gerda to try and rescue him, combined with the Snow Queen herself.
- At one point, Elsa was going to be the main character, where she is the cold-hearted queen of her own kingdom who despised anyone around her, freezing anyone who crosses her path, and just wanted to be alone until she was softened by a kind-hearted man.
- At another point, Elsa was going to be the main antagonist, and she and the Kai analogue (who was originally going to be a male like in the original story) were going to be separate characters, with the former kidnapping the latter for her own purposes. It wasn't until late in development that the older sibling was changed into a female and merged with the Snow Queen into the same character in order to make the queen look less like a villainess.
- Elsa's design resembles that of Queen Jadis the White Witch, as they are both females with ice-based powers. However, unlike Jadis, Elsa is not really evil, just misguided.
- Idina Menzel, Elsa's voice actress, also originated the role of Elphaba from the musical Wicked. It should also be noted that both Elphaba and Elsa appear to have similar motivations.
- Elsa may also be similar to Wreck-It Ralph as the two are both misunderstood "villains" who were cast out by their own kind causing them to abandon their roles, and a sibling figure to go and bring them back (Felix to Ralph, Anna to Elsa), to prevent a bigger catastrophe from threatening their home.
- Elsa is the second Disney Princess to be magical, the first being Rapunzel.
- Since the Disney Princesses were designed to have all the princesses unaware of each other's presence, Elsa and Anna are the first and second to know of each other (second and third, respectively, if one count's Rapunzel's cameo in the beginning of Frozen). This is especially so as they are sisters.
- Anna and Elsa are the first two of all the Disney Princesses to be siblings and come from the same film, although Ariel has 6 older sisters.
- Elsa is the second deuteragonist in 22 years to join the franchise, the first being Jasmine.
- Elsa is the fourth official Disney Princess to become a Queen, the first being Ariel, the second being Belle, and the third being Rapunzel.
- Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa are the only princesses that are playable characters in Disney INFINITY. Coincidentially, all three also appear in Frozen (the first as a cameo for the last's coronation ceremony in the beginning of the film).
- Elsa and Anna are the third and fourth of all the Disney Princesses to be orphans the first two being Snow White and Cinderella.
- Anna and Elsa are the fifth and sixth Disney Princesses to be seen as kids in their feature films, the first four being Cinderella, Tiana, Rapunzel and Merida.
- Elsa's hair is platinum blonde, although her eyebrows are a dark brown, suggesting that had she not had her powers, she might have had the same hair color as her mother.
- In "MCF: The Princess Test", she is seen and spoken for a brief possible cameo. However, in "MCF and the Ice Queen", she meets Prince Dylan, a friend whom the girls met in the former who becomes her love interest. This is a reference to both Elsa's inspiration Elphaba(Idina MenzeI) falling in love with Fiyero(Norbert Leo Butz) because of their actors.
- In some MCF stories it is revealed that Tricia is a childhood friend of Elsa and also, as an adult her speaking voice is Idina Menzel who voices Elsa.