Katherine "Kate" Houghton Beckett is a detective of the NYPD at the 12th Precinct of the Homicide division and a former Federal government agent. She debuts in MCF and the Detective and the Author where she, her partner Castle and her team teams up with the MCF who killed a young woman that was discovered by the MCF themselves. She is portrayed by Stana Katic.
Her grandfather was an amateur magician and frequently brought her to the famous Drake's Magic Shop after school in her early teens, resulting in her fascination of the art. She is also a comic book fan, having bought her first when she was 14 and envisioning herself as Elektra if she had a choice of what character to be. She was also raised by her father to be a baseball fan.
Beckett went to Stuyvesant High School, a public school in New York City reserved for highly gifted students. She then studied pre-law at Stanford, dreaming of becoming the first female Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, before transferring to New York University after her mother's death to pursue a career in law enforcement. Between her junior and senior year of college, she spent a semester studying in Kiev, Ukraine.
She hints to Castle many times about having a wild past and according to an old friend, Madison Queller, she was "the biggest scofflaw" in high school and was in relationships with a variety of men. She spent one summer while in high school modeling as opposed to waitressing, eventually earning enough money to buy a 1994 Harley Softail Motorcycle, which she still rides, although her father strongly disapproves of it and once even threatened to send her to a nunnery for. She also had a beauty queen, Debbie Winaker, for a roommate during her freshman year.
On January 9, 1999, when she was 19, her mother, Johanna, was stabbed to death while on her way to meet with Jim and Kate for dinner. The detective in charge of the investigation, Detective John Raglan, was apparently never able to find the killer and attributed her death to random gang violence. Kate, though, believes that there was more to her mother's murder than a random killing, thinking that the investigating detectives ignored every other evidence that could lead them to her mother's murderer.
Her father took Johanna's death hard and became an alcoholic. She was eventually able to help her father get through it, though. From then on, she has since worn her mother's wedding ring as a neck lace for "the life she lost" and her father's watch, an Omega Speedmaster Professional, a.k.a. "Moonwatch", for "the life she saved".
On the other hand, her mother's death inspired Beckett to become a cop: to be a detective that actually looks for justice for the sake of the victims' families for the right reasons without 'pigeon-holing' crimes the way Detective Raglan did on her mother's case. Other than that, she also wanted a position in the force where she could investigate her mother's death further.
Richard Castle's books and the fictional shows Nebula 9 and Temptation Lane also apparently had its share of helping Kate get through her mother's death.
Beckett's training officer after leaving the academy was Mike Royce, who according to Beckett was "the only one who understood the obsession that drove her." His stories and influence in her life later led to her falling in love with him.
Beckett then became a detective for the New York Police Department, specifically the Twelfth Precinct Homicide Squad, where she works with fellow detectives Javier Esposito and Kevin Ryan, and medical examiner Lanie Parish, under Captain Roy Montgomery.
After spending the first three years of her career as a cop drowning herself in studying her mother's file and coming up with nothing, she finally decided to put it behind her and just try to forget about it and avoid delving deeper into the case. According to Captain Montgomery, her main strength as a detective lies in her ability to empathise with the relatives of violent crimes, which she does better than anyone he knows.
At one point in her career, she teams up with FBI Agent Will Sorenson for a kidnapping case that did not end well. The two become romantically involved, but the relationship ends when Will pursues a career in Boston, a career move he chose over Kate.
To read more about Kate Beckett go here http://castle.wikia.com/wiki/Kate_Beckett
Kate Beckett debuts along with her partner Richard Castle, Javier Esposito, Kevin Ryan, Gates, Lanie Parish along with Castle's daughter and mother in MCF and the Detective and the Author where she at first dislikes the fact that she has to work with the MCF in order to solve the murder of a young girl who was discovered by the MCF due to the Battle against the Chitauri the MCF girls had months ago along with Alt. Tracy's attack. She eventually puts her differences aside to solve the case. She makes a future cameo in The Final Battle Part 2 along with Castle, Ryan and Esposito and will return in a future story.
- She carries a Glock 17 as her sidearm until "Home Is Where the Heart Stops", where she starts carrying a Glock 19. She also carries a Glock 26 as her backup sidearm and has given it to Castle twice, once during Boom! and A Deadly Affair.
- She has also used a Heckler & Koch USP, which she held to a Russian mobster who was threatening Castle during Deep in Death.
- Her badge number is "41319". The presence of a black 'WTC' breast bar in "Veritas" indicates she was a 9/11 first responder.
- According to producer Terri Edda Miller, Beckett's birthday is November 17 and she was 19 when her mother died on January 9, 1999, make her year of birth as 1979 just one year younger than actress Stana Katic who plays her. She is stated to be 32 when being wheeled into hospital in "Rise".
- In Suicide Squeeze, Beckett revealed that she is baseball fan and she has been going to baseball games since the age of 3 with her dad.
- In Last Call, Kate reveals that she has a tattoo (seemingly small, someplace not easily visible, etc.) to Castle, but she doesn't state where or what it is.
- In episode To Love and Die in L.A., Kate admitted to Castle that she dressed as Gene Simmons of KISS for Halloween once.
- In Limelight, she has an aunt Theresa, who posted something about Castle and his ex-wife but took it down by a request of Jim.
- She's a fan of Temptation Lane, like her best friend, Lanie, and Nebula-9.
- It's rumored that she was a Girl Scout.
- According to Little Girl Lost and Kick the Ballistics, Beckett's coffee order is a grande skim latte with two pumps sugar-free vanilla.
- Stana Katic portrays Tracy and Tricia's 'what if' adult live action self.
- According to trachie17, both Kate and Gates referred to Tracy as a female Castle without the superpowers in the story.
- According to trachie17, Beckett and the rest of the Precint will make a small cameo in MCF: The Final Battle Part 2.
- According to trachie17, Beckett and Castle alog with the rest of the Precint will make a return in a future MCF story.