Charlie is the former tertiary antagonist of Rio 2. He is a non-speaking anteater and one of Nigel's former henchmen. Charlie wears a bowler hat and a bow tie, and the darker patch of his fur resembles a vest. He was forced to tap dance for tourists until Nigel freed him. He will do almost anything for ants (red ants make him crazy).
The third member of Team Nigel is Charlie, a mute, tap-dancing anteater. He was forced to tap dance for tourists until Nigel freed him. Nigel uses him as a form of transportation, riding on his back when he escapes the street fair with Gabi. He obeys Nigel's whims because he was promised all the ants he could eat, but was usually denied them because Nigel was too busy planning his revenge to care about Charlie's hunger. His tongue is very long and proves to be useful on several occasions to Nigel as he uses it to catapult himself towards Blu, climbing rope, as a leash and a pulley system.
The creature with the prolonged proboscis is at Nigel'sbeck and call until he is inevitably distracted by ants.
He was the silent muscle in Nigel's plot to find Blu and get revenge on him.
After the group sneaks onto the same boat as the Spix's Macaw Family, Charlie inadvertently foils Nigel's attempt to kill Blu in his sleep; Having been distracted by some ants in a plastic bottle, Charlie got his snout stuck trying to get the last one. When he finally pulled his snout out, he accidentally hit the switch for the boat's horn, waking everyone up. The humans then drive them off the boat.
The next morning, they are shown to be floating on a life preserver. Seeing Blu and his family get away, Nigel has Charlie use his tongue like a propeller to move them through the water. Later, Charlie carries Nigel and Gabi through the jungle, then climbs up a tree for Nigel to get a better look.
The next day, they see what appears to be Blu. Nigel has Charlie "tongue-apult" him to their target (Who turns out not to be Blu). Charlie watches Nigel's audition, and later hears his plan to kill Blu, rehearsing his part by firing a dart with Gabi's poison on it at a fruit made up to look like Blu.
During the battle against the loggers, Nigel sees an opportunity to kill Blu. Charlie fires a dart, but it misses. When Nigel and Blu are struggling, Charlie fires again, accidentally hitting Nigel. It is then that they discover that Gabi is not poisonous.
As Nigel is dragged away by Gabi, who plans to shower him with love, Charlie responds to his call for help by giving two thumbs up, and shuffling away. He is later seen at the "Amazon Untamed" party dancing around his tongue as if it were a lasso, and presumably redeeming himself.
This proves to be effective in "MCF: Families Reunited at Last" in the episode "Strawberry's Berry Big World" as the first Amazon creature to come across Raspberry and Orange who were lost thanks to Angela. He guides them to the birds after being spotted by Nigel and Gabi who have plans for the two humans. He then helps the MCF, their assistants and the other Berry Bitty Citizens along with the already-rescued Blueberry, Huck, Strawberry and Plum rescue them.
- MCF: Families Reunited at Last(debut; episode: "Strawberry's Berry Big World")
- Charlie is partially based off of and named after Charlie Chaplin, and Chaplin's popular screen persona, "The Tramp."
- His mime tactics are most likely based off of Marcel Marceau.
- He is the first animal shown to dance in front of humans while being forced to by his owner.
- Northern tamanduas are great tree climbers, but Charlie doesn't look like he can climb at all, using his tongue like a rope to hold on and climb, like a lumberjack. This may be due to him being raised in captivity, and therefore not having any experience climbing trees.
- According to Blue Sky Studios' Twitter, Charlie was originally going to be working in a circus with Nigel and Gabi.
- His character description on the official movie site stated that "red ants make him crazy." This is never seen to happen in Rio 2.