Be Prepared is the villain song of "Disney's The Lion King". This was sung by Scar and the Hyenas including Shenzi, Banzai and Ed as they prepare to kill Mufasa and Simba because Scar is jealous of the both of them for being king and about to be king(Scar was supposed to be first in line until Simba came along). The song was sung by Jim Cummings, Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin and Jeremy Irons in the film as well as John Vickery, Tracy Nicole Chapman, Stanley Wayne Mathis and Kevin Cahoon in the Broadway production.
- I know that your powers of retention
- Are as wet as a warthog's backside.
- But thick as you are, pay attention!
- My words are a matter of pride.
- It's clear from your vacant expressions
- The lights are not all on upstairs.
- But we're talking kings and successions.
- Even you can't be caught unawares!
- So prepare for a chance of a lifetime.
- Be prepared for sensational news.
- A shining new era
- Is tiptoeing nearer.
Shenzi: And where do we feature?
Scar: Just listen to teacher.
- I know it sounds sordid,
- But you'll be rewarded
- When at last I am given my dues.
- And injustice deliciously squared.
- Be prepared!
- Yeah, be prepared.
- Yeah-heh, we'll be prepared, heh...for what?
- For the death of the king!
- Why, is he sick?
- No, fool, we're gonna kill him.
- And Simba, too...
- Great idea!
- Who needs a king?
Shenzi and Banzai:
- There will be a king!
- Hey, but you said-
- I will be king!
- Stick with me, and you'll never go hungry again!
Shenzi and Banzai: (spoken)
- Yay! All right! All right!
- Long live the king!
- It's great that we'll soon be connected
- With a king who'll be all-time adored.
- Of course, quid pro quo, you're expected
- To take certain duties on board.
- The future is littered with prizes,
- And though I'm the main addressee,
- The point that I must emphasize is
- You won't get a sniff without me!
- So prepare for the coup of the century.
- Be prepared for the murkiest scam.
- (Ooh. La! La! La!)
- Meticulous planning.
- (We'll have food!)
- Tenacity spanning.
- (Lots of food!)
- Decades of denial.
- (We repeat!)
- Is simply why I'll
- (Endless meat!)
- Be king undisputed,
- Respected, saluted,
- And seen for the wonder I am.
- Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared.
- Be prepared!
- Yes, our teeth and ambitions are bared.
- Be prepared!
- (Evil Laughs)
- Scar(The Lion King)
- Light Yagami, Misa, Ryuk, Paulina, Shirona and Adele(RMCF: The Second Rookie Mystery Case Files)
- There was originally a reprise that went with this song during a deleted scene where Scar tries to make Nala his wife, but she refuses and he banishes her with the hyenas joining the Pride Lands. The song was cut from the film, but it was restored and put into the musical as "The Madness of King Scar" with different lyrics and a showing that Scar not only feels lonesome, but feels paranoid after killing Mufasa, seeing his ghost everywhere.
- Jeremy Irons sang most of the song, but his vocal chords were damaged during "YOU WON'T GET A SNIFF WITHOUT ME!", so Jim Cummings took over the rest of the song.
- The march of the Hyenas resembles the march of the Nazis during World War II.