Alex the Lion is the main protagonist of Madagascar. he is one of the "Zoosters" who is stranded on the titular Madagascar for the first movie, and then struggles to get home to New York City. He was once known as the King of New York because he was an attraction at the Central Park zoo. He is a humanoid Lion with a mark of Africa on his left paw, a octagonish shaped mane and blue eyes; he's voiced by Ben Stiller.
Alex is an African lion. He was the self-proclaimed king of the zoo.
Alex loves the zoo and was surprised when hearing Marty's wish to leave and live in the wild. As the main attraction of the zoo, he is featured heavily on merchandise and gives an "Alex the Lion" snow globe to Marty for his birthday. He also shows an infatuation with steak, though later remarks that sushi tastes better.
As a cub, Alex was born on a African wildlife reserve and named Alakay. He was the son of the alpha lion, Zuba, and was constantly given lessons on hunting, though he displayed no interest in the activity. Instead, he would dance around rather than pounce on the toy his father used to train him. During one of the sessions, Alex was captured by poachers. In an attempt save his son, Zuba pursues the truck. He rips off the safety harness and is shot in the ear, falling off the truck. As the truck turns the crate he was contained in fell into a river (Due to no harness) and eventually floated to New York. Alex arrives in New York after floating over the Atlantic Ocean when his transport crate fell into the sea. He is brought to the Central Park Zoo and proves to be very popular with the public. Also he is afraid of the ocean or water based on the first film Madagascar.
In the first Madagascar, After Marty leaves in an effort to take a train to the wild, Alex, Gloria, and Melman pursue him and are shot with tranquilizer darts by humans. Animal-rights activist pressure the zoo into releasing them back into the wild, but on the ship to the preserve, Alex and his friends fall into the ocean. They wash ashore on Madagascar, and, while Marty is excited to be free, Alex wishes to go home but later changes his mind. He grows very hungry after days of being unable to eat, not realizing that steak is animal flesh, and starts to regain his hunting instincts. Hunger drives Alex into a crazed state, which causes him to hallucinate everyone as steak and attacks Marty. After realizing what he did to Marty, Alex barricades himself in the predator area of the island. Marty pursues him, unwilling to leave his friend, but is attacked by the fossa, the native predators of Madagascar. After overcoming his hunting instincts, Alex works to defend Marty, and is later given sushi by the Penguins to satisfy his hunger.
In "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa," Before Alex (whose birth name is revealed to be Alakay) encounters his parents, Zuba and Florrie, who are overjoyed to see their son and in the end, becomes alpha lion, he re-encounters the old lady and start fighting but allows Nana to win so he could acquire her purse (he later pulls out her cell phone and attempts to reach an operator). Zuba assumes that Alex is strong after hearing that he is the "King" of New York and arranges a rite of passage into the pride. Makunga, Zuba's rival, persuades Alex to challenge Teetsi during Alex's rite of passage. Teetsi was revealed to be a bulky, strong lion and Alex quickly loses. In order to keep from banishing Alex, Zuba transfers his control to Makunga, and in turn Alex, Florrie, and himself are banished. Zuba was mad at Alex after realizing that he is not a fierce warrior. The next day, the watering hole is shown to be dried up and Alex leaves with Marty to find out the cause. They leave the safety of the reserve, prompting Zuba to follow Alex and bring him back. Alex discovers that stranded New Yorkers had created a dam, and through use of dancing, he is recognized by the attacking New Yorkers. With the help of the others, the dam is destroyed and they return to the preserve. His father learns to respect his habits, and they remain in Africa instead of flying home with the penguins.
In "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted," it begins on Alex's birthday in Africa. He and his friends decide that it is high time that they returned home to New York, as they are tired of waiting for the penguins to return from Monte Carlo.
The group ends up going to Monte Carlo on their own in hopes of finding the penguins and convincing them to take them home. Unfortunately, they are spotted by the humans in the casino where the penguins are hiding and end up becoming a target for animal control. Luckily, they end up finding Circus Zaragoza and decide to purchase the circus so that they could use it to get a contract for an American tour so that they could return to New York City. In the process, Alex meets Gia the jaguar, and develops an interesting partnership with her when it becomes apparent, the circus is not a very good one and he and his friends have to revamp it in order to win the contract. Alex and his friends each come up with new acts.
Alex ends up doing trapeze tricks with Gia for his act, and finds himself falling in love with the beautiful exotic jaguar. When they do get the contract, the group returns to New York, upsetting their new friends in the process, Alex ends up deeply hurting Gia when she finds out that he is a zoo animal. When they actually get back to the zoo, The gang finds that it is not as great as they remembered and that, quite frankly, they miss their new friends and decide that they would much rather join the circus and live with their new friends.
The Zoosters, however, are ambushed and knocked out by Captain Chantel DuBois and the animal control and put back in the zoo. The circus animals, the penguins, the lemurs and the chimpanzees come and break them out however, and then Alex grabs Gia during her trapeze and releases the balloons to the children the two of them sharing a loving look. Then Alex and his friends end up joining Circus Zaragoza from now on.
MCF Stories Edit
He appears in "MCF: Families REuntied at Last" episode "The Zebra, the Sea Lion and the Beasts", where he is devestated when Marty his best friend is taken away by the beasts along with Stefano, so the MCF have to rescue both sea lion and zebra from the monsters Obelix and his gang, but the MCF realize taht the monsters wanted friends, so the animals become friends with them.
- MCF: Families Reuntied at Last(Debut; Episode: The Zebra, the Sea Lion and the Beasts)
- Although he is a great dancer, Alex considers himself to be an actor.
- Alex suffers from arachnophobia as he stated in one scene in Madagascar that he hates spiders and spiderwebs.
- He appears as a guest star in "The Return of the Revenge of Dr. Blowhole." In this episode, Wally Wingert replaces Ben Stiller for the role.
- In order to create Alex's parents, animators for the second film had to divide Alex's attributes and make two different individuals out of them, a reversed version of a commonly used process.
- Alex's Africa shaped birthmark is not present in the first film as animators hadn't come up with that part of his story yet. However, it is present in everything made after the second film, including the Christmas special.
- Ben Stiller and Chris Rock were already friends prior to the first film, making recordings for Alex and Marty much easier.
- Ben Stiller brought in his son Quinn Dempsey Stiller to be the voice of Young Alex in the second film. This made Alex one of only two best friends whose voice actors' children did their juvenile voices, the other being Gloria, who was voiced by Willow Smith as a calf.
- Alex uses the bite mark that he left on Marty's bottom to tell him apart from the other Zebra's, using their past experiences together to tell him apart.
- Alex's baby blanket is affectionately named "Foofie".
- According to his parents, Alex never slept on the right part of the bed when he was a cub.
- Alex has his mom's blue eyes.
- In the third film, Alex is eight feet tall and weighs 250 kg or 551.5 pounds.
- Ben Stiller's favorite scene in the second film is where the plane has just crashed and Alex mistakes Skipper's prediction of "six to nine months" to fix the plane to "sixty-nine months". Apparently Stiller found this joke to be especially funny.
- Gia was always a possible love interest for Alex, in fact, originally she was Italian, an albino jaguar kept in a gilded cage in the Monte Carlo casino. The directors decided that it would be better for the story if Alex met her in the circus, she is also now colored like a regular jaguar, but her spots have a subtle flower pattern.
- Alex and Zuba both have a birthmark shaped like the continent of Africa (complete with Madagascar off to the side) on their right paw. This was how Zuba and Florrie were able to tell that Alex was indeed, Alakay, their missing son.
- Alex and Gia's love theme, "Love Always Comes As a Surprise" was originally going to be somewhere else in the film, and NOT about them, but when filmmakers really listened to the song, they realized that it fit this couple perfectly, and it became their song.
- It was revealed in the first film that Alex has a habit of sucking his thumb while he is sleeping. This could very well be due to an oral fixation caused by the fact that he was taken away from his mother when he was a cub, plus, in the parts where he is sucking his thumb, he is mentioning steak and probably imagining that he is eating it off his thumb.
- Although he was just a figment of Skipper's imagination in the episode, having been featured in The Return of the Revenge of Dr. Blowhole, Alex was the first, and so far, the only one of the Zoosters to be featured in the Penguins of Madagascar television show.
- Gia almost wasn't Alex's girlfriend. Originally, she was going to be a French lioness named Gigi. Eventually, the plans changed and Gia was born.
- Alex's ancestors are Barbary lions as he stated in "Europe's Most Wanted" that his ancestors fought in Ancient Rome.The only subspecies of African Lion that fought in Rome were the Barbary lions.
- The Barbary lions breed with African lions and Asian lions in the roman breeding pens,indicating that the Barbary lions breed with an African lion and that African / Barbary lion hybrid escaped the coliseum forming a long bloodline with less and less Barbary lion blood with the recent lion from the bloodline, Alex formally called Alakay.
- It is revealed in Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted that Alex can speak Spanish.
- It is unknown if he'll return in another MCF story at this moment.